How to Enroll Your Child in School
All students must register at their home-zoned school. The school district Attendance Zone Locator will identify the correct school.
Requirements for Children to Begin School
1. Grade Placement (Florida State Statute 1003.21)
- Voluntary Pre-K: A child must be four years old on or before September 1st.
- Kindergarten: A child must be five years old on or before September 1st.
- First Grade: A child must be six years old on or before September 1st AND satisfy one of the following:
a) Satisfactory completion of kindergarten in a Florida public school.
b) Satisfactory completion of kindergarten in a non-public school.
c) Previous attendance in an out-of-state school in which the student was admitted on the basis of age requirements established by the state of residency.
2. Proof of Residency
- Certain documents will be required to prove residency. A complete detail of these requirements can all be found in our Residency Process.
- Current students must update residency documentation before transitioning to kindergarten, middle (6th grade) and high school (9th grade).
Students with expired residency (e.g. expired lease) will be required to provide updated residency documents.
3. Proof of Immunization
- Florida Certification of Immunization, DOH 680 Form (Florida State Statute 1003.22)
Students enrolling for the first time from a state other than Florida must have out of state immunization records transferred to the DOH 680 Form.
- School Entry Requirements
- School Entry Requirements (Spanish)
- School Entry Requirements (Haitian Creole)
- FL Immunization Requirements FAQs
- Copy of Birth Certificate (If a birth certificate is not available, please refer to 1003.21, FS for other acceptable documentation.)
- Proof of Guardianship (if applicable)
- Physical/Health Examination (dated within 12 months of the student’s enrollment date – can be from out of state) that meets the Florida Department of Health Requirements.
Sports physicals will not be accepted for first time enrollment physical/health examination.
- Although a specific form is not required, you may choose to use the recommended School Entry Health Exam Form (DH3040)
- Social Security Number (optional)
- Academic Records (for students previous enrolled in another school)
For additional Information regarding immunizations, please contact:
Florida Department of Health – St. Johns County
200 San Sebastian View
St. Augustine, FL 32084
Your local St. Johns County Health Department provides free pediatric immunizations.
View the St. Johns County Health Department website.
For additional information regarding any health issue for school enrollment, please visit our School Health Services Department website.
Although we will request the records from the previous school, placement may be expedited if you have:
- Most recent report card
- Unofficial transcripts or grades
- Most recent test scores (mandatory prior to registration for Honors or Dual Enrollment classes)
Grade level placement at time of enrollment should be based on the last grade completed by the student. Schools may adjust a student’s grade level and schedule once official school records have been received.
2022-2023 School Registration Forms
The above form is ONLY for enrollment in the SUMMER VPK program and requires PRE-APPROVAL from the Early Childhood Services Department prior to completion of the application. Summer VPK will be held at First Coast Technical College from June 1 through July 28 from 7:30 am to 3:00 pm. Please contact Ms. Fenech at 904-547-8959 to reserve your spot. Please do not use this form to enroll for Fall 23/24 VPK.
2023-2024 School Registration Forms
You must upload ALL required documents in order to submit your enrollment application. You may save and exit at any time and return later to complete the form. See Residency Requirements for more details.
Only open to students who will be under the age of 4 on September 1, 2023
Please contact your zoned school or requested VPK site prior to March 1st to inquire about VPK availability.
The above form is ONLY for enrollment in the SUMMER VPK program and requires pre-approval from the Early Childhood Services Department prior to completion of the application. Dates and school locations have not yet been determined for the summer 2023 VPK program. Please contact Ms. Fenech at 904-547-8959 to reserve your spot. Fall 23/24 VPK registration will open on March 1st and will use the 23/24 Early Childhood – Pre-K Enrollment form.
Kindergarten students must be 5 years old on or before September 1, 2023
Please use this form if:
- Your child is NOT currently enrolled in a St. Johns County School District School AND was previously enrolled at ANY time in a SJCSD public school and is re-enrolling for the 2023-2024 school year.
- Your child is currently enrolled with St. Johns County as a full time HOME EDUCATION student and will be attending his/her zoned school for the 2023/2024 school year.
All students must register at their home-zoned school. The school district’s Attendance Zone Locator will identify the correct school. For more information, please view the Requirements for Children to Begin School.
If you have questions regarding enrollment, please email us or call 904-547-7622.