The St Johns County School District started using a new mass communication system in December 2016 called SchoolMessenger. This system allows schools and District staff to quickly and efficiently communicate both general and emergency messages to parents/guardians and staff using email, text and voice mail. The system is capable of sending thousands of messages in minutes.
Parents and staff who wish to receive text messages from this system must (1) Opt-in from their mobile device and (2) have their mobile number on file with their child’s school (for parents/guardians) or on file with Employee Online (for staff/employees).
SchoolMessenger provides parents/guardians with a mobile app and website called InfoCenter which allows them to view and listen to previous messages and to verify their phone numbers. InfoCenter also lets parents/guardians select which modes of communication they prefer (voice/text/email) based on the type of message being sent. InfoCenter is both a website and an app you can download on your smartphone, so even if you do not have a smartphone, you can still access InfoCenter by visiting https://infocenter.schoolmessenger.com.
View the SchoolMessenger InfoCenter App Instructions to learn how to download the SchoolMessenger InfoCenter app on your smartphone and login to set your messaging preferences. If you would prefer to use the website version, please see how to Manage Your Contact Preferences Using the SchoolMessenger InfoCenter Website.
How to Opt-in or Opt-out of SchoolMessenger Text Messages
The first step of the process was conducted on 1/4/17 when the District sent an opt-in text message to all parent/guardian and staff phone numbers on file. If you received the opt-in message on your mobile device and responded with a “Y” or “Yes”, you should have received a confirmation text message stating, “You’re registered 4 SchoolMessenger notifications”. No further action is required for you to receive future text messages from your child’s school or from the District.
If you did not receive the opt-in message on your mobile device and want to receive text messages from your child’s school or from the District please follow the steps below:
- From your mobile device, Text “Yes” to 67587. You should then receive a response text message stating, “You’re registered 4 SchoolMessenger notifications”.
- Now that you have registered your device to receive text messages, you must verify that your mobile device phone number(s) is on file at your child’s school.
- You can verify that your contact phone numbers are up to date by viewing them in SchoolMessenger InfoCenter.
- If you need to make changes to the phone numbers listed, please contact your child’s school.
If you wish to opt-out of text messaging, simply text “Stop” to 67587.
Key features of SchoolMessenger InfoCenter
- Designed for parents and guardians
- Holds messages from the last 30 days
- Select mode of broadcast to receive for different message types
- Phone numbers derived from the District’s Student Information System
- Serves as single place to receive and view all messages
- Parents should contact their school to change phone numbers