St. Johns County School District is committed to making its web sites accessible to all visitors and compliant with the accessibility standards of the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 508. Accessible web design benefits individuals using assistive technology, as well as users with text-based browsers, low-end processors, slow Internet connections, or computer equipment that is not state-of-the-art.
ADA Section 508 establishes requirements for electronic and information technology developed, maintained, procured, or used by the federal government. Section 508 requires this technology to be accessible to all people with disabilities, including employees and members of the public. St. Johns County School District has designed this web site with numerous features to maximize its accessibility.
These features include (but are not limited to)
- Images on the site contain “alt tags” that describe them, aiding users with visual impairments who listen to the content of the site by using screen reading software.
- Text and background colors are required to be high contrast.
- Keyboard navigation is provided for the web site.
- Documents are posted as PDF files which can be viewed with most popular web browsers as well as Adobe.com’s free Acrobat Reader. The latest versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader integrate with most screen readers to read PDF files aloud.
- Web pages and PDFs are regularly scanned and tested for compliance with accessibility standards and to identify possible barriers to accessibility in web pages.
- Web pages incorporate skip navigation which is a method for skipping to page content, sidebar, header, and footer navigation for individuals using assistive technology.
- The UserWay Accessibility Menu linked on every web page provides a number of accessibility options to change the way in which content is displayed to suit the user’s individual needs and can also read the web page content aloud.
Need more help?
For more information about how you can modify the settings on your computer and web browser to suit your personal needs, please visit My Computer My Way.
Need to report an accessibility issue?
If you are aware of a website accessibility issue and would like to report it to St. Johns County School District, please contact the District Webmaster by completing our contact form, sending an email to [email protected] or by calling (904) 547-3927.
If you need to report an accessibility issue that is not related to this website, please contact the Exceptional Student Education (ESE) Department at (904) 547-7672.