ESE School Choice Options & McKay Scholarship Information

ESE Students who wish to attend a school other than their home-zoned school have several options.

Hardship Transfers K-12:

All District students, including students with disabilities, may participate in the District’s school choice plan. Please visit for more information.

PreK ESE Hardship Transfers:

PreK ESE students may submit an out-of-zone request to the ESE Department. Out-of-zone requests are approved based on hardship, space available and availability of the appropriate ESE services to meet the student’s needs. Transportation is not provided.

McKay Scholarship Public School Option Transfers (for students with disabilities or students with 504 plans):

Florida’s School Choice Programs ensure that no child will be left behind by allowing parents to choose the best educational setting—public or private—for their child. The McKay Scholarships for Students with Disabilities Program currently provides more than 31,000 Florida students with special needs the opportunity to attend a participating private school. The McKay Scholarships Program also offers parents public school choice. A parent of a special needs student who is dissatisfied with the student’s current school may choose to transfer the student to another public school. Contact the Department of Education, Office of Independent Choice and Parental Choice at (800) 447-1636 or see the Florida Department of Education McKay homepage.

See McKay Letter 2021-2022 for more information.

Transfers under the McKay Scholarship Program Public School Option are approved based on the following criteria:

  • You applied for a McKay Scholarship through the Florida Department of Education and your child was found eligible to receive the scholarship; and
  • Review of your child’s ESE or 504 records indicate that the special education services he/she needs can be provided at the requested school.

The McKay Scholarship allows the student to continue at the approved public school until he or she has successfully completed all grades offered at that school. Transportation is not provided for McKay Scholarship Students.

If you are found eligible for the McKay Scholarship and would like to submit a request for your child to be transferred to another public school, please complete the  McKay Request Form 2021-2022 and return it to Danielle Compton, ESE Secretary. Requests can be sent via US Mail, fax to (904) 547-7544 or by sending an email to our office.

© 2021 St. Johns County School District