Employee and Hardship Out of Zone Transfer Request Process

St Johns County School District



School District employees may request that their child attend the school in which they work, or the school within closest proximity of their work location. If the conditions of employment or placement change, the employee transfer will be null and void. If the employee is no longer employed by the District, the privilege is revoked. If the place of employment has changed, a new application must be submitted.

An application completed from an employee who is not the student’s parent or legal guardian will not be processed.

Please note: This form will work best using Google Chrome as your web browser.

If you have technical questions relating to this form please contact us.

For all other questions, please email [email protected].

(St. Johns County residents only)

A student may be granted a “Hardship Transfer” when a condition or situation exists that implies an adverse or compelling circumstance or a state of misfortune unique to that student’s life or a family’s life situation. The situation could impact the student’s ability to achieve success at their zoned school. You must be a St. Johns County resident to apply for an Out of Zone Hardship Transfer.

Not being selected by the lottery for Controlled Open Enrollment does not constitute a hardship.


If you have any questions regarding hardship transfers, please call the Office for School Services at (904) 547-7724.

General Transfer Policy and Procedures


  • Transportation must be provided by the parent for ALL approved requests.
  • Requested school must meet class size compliance.
  • Parent agrees that at any time during the school year, a transfer may be revoked due to poor attendance, tardiness, or discipline issues.
  • Parent understands that falsification of residency shall result in the revocation of the transfer waiver. The student will return to his or her zoned school at a time determined by the Superintendent or designee.
  • Parent must receive an APPROVED Hardship Transfer from the St. Johns County School District’s Department for School Services.
  • Parent must complete a separate application for each child.


Fifth, Eighth and Twelfth grade students may request to remain at his or her previous school. The parent must submit a Hardship Out of Zone Application for consideration. Younger siblings, however, must attend their zoned school.


Hardship transfers based on future home purchases are not granted. Students need to be registered in the school zone where they are currently living.


The Hardship Transfer Application is only for parents who believe they have a hardship.

For Open Enrollment “Choice” transfers, please visit the Guidance and Choice website.


Student-Athletes who transfer to another school must oblige themselves to the FHSAA Rules of Athletic Eligibility.


Out of Zone hardship and SJCSD Employee transfers are valid for ONE SCHOOL YEAR ONLY. Students currently on an out of zone hardship waiver are not automatically guaranteed acceptance for the next school year, and an application must be submitted annually. TRANSPORTATION MUST BE PROVIDED BY THE PARENT.

A committee will review requests for out of zone transfers. A decision will be made based on the information provided in the application and any additional documentation. Please allow approximately three weeks for an email response. If application is denied, a parent may request an appeal in writing to the Office for School Services. Once the denial is provided to the parent, the parent must enroll the student in the attendance zone in which they reside, even if appealing at the next level. The Superintendent will appoint a Transfer Appeals Committee. All decisions by the Superintendent are final.

Approved waivers must still follow all registration and enrollment guidelines. Proof of residency requirements can be found on our Student Services Department’s website.

© 2024 St. Johns County School District