Employee and Hardship Out of Zone Transfer Request Process
St Johns County School District
TYPES OF APPLICATIONS:
SCHOOL DISTRICT EMPLOYEE REQUESTS
School District employees may request that their child attend the school in which they work, or the school within closest proximity of their work location. If the conditions of employment or placement change, the employee transfer will be null and void. If the employee is no longer employed by the District, the privilege is revoked. If the place of employment has changed, a new application must be submitted.
An application completed from an employee who is not the student’s parent or legal guardian will not be processed.
OUT OF ZONE HARDSHIP TRANSFERS
(St. Johns County residents only)
A student may be granted a “Hardship Transfer” when a condition or situation exists that implies an adverse or compelling circumstance or a state of misfortune unique to that student’s life or a family’s life situation. The situation could impact the student’s ability to achieve success at their zoned school. You must be a St. Johns County resident to apply for an Out of Zone Hardship Transfer.
Not being selected by the lottery for Controlled Open Enrollment does not constitute a hardship.
If you have any questions regarding hardship transfers, please call the Office for School Services at (904) 547-7583.
General Transfer Policy and Procedures
- Transportation must be provided by the parent for ALL approved requests.
- Requested school must meet class size compliance.
- Parent agrees that at any time during the school year, a transfer may be revoked due to poor attendance, tardiness, or discipline issues.
- Parent understands that falsification of residency shall result in the revocation of the transfer waiver. The student will return to his or her zoned school at a time determined by the Superintendent or designee.
- Parent must receive an APPROVED Hardship Transfer from the St. Johns County School District’s Department for School Services.
- Parent must complete a separate application for each child.
Fifth, Eighth and Twelfth grade students may request to remain at his or her previous school. The parent must submit a Hardship Out of Zone Application for consideration. Younger siblings, however, must attend their zoned school.
HOME PURCHASE REQUESTS
Hardship transfers based on future home purchases are not granted. Students need to be registered in the school zone where they are currently living.
OTHER TRANSFER REQUESTS
The Hardship Transfer Application is only for parents who believe they have a hardship.
For Open Enrollment “Choice” transfers, please visit the Guidance and Choice website.
Student-Athletes who transfer to another school must oblige themselves to the FHSAA Rules of Athletic Eligibility.
Hardship Out of Zone Transfer Applications must be completed and returned to:
Senior Director for School Services
40 Orange Street
St Augustine, FL 32084.
Supporting documentation may be faxed to (904) 547-7695.