Enrolling Your Child in School

How to Enroll Your Child in School

All students must register at their home-zoned school. The school district Attendance Zones Locator (http://www.stjohns.k12.fl.us/zoning/)
will identify the correct school.

Requirements for Children to Begin School

1. Grade Placement (Florida State Statute 1003.21) 

  • Voluntary Pre-K: A child must be four years old on or before September 1st.
  • Kindergarten: A child must be five years old on or before September 1st.
  • First Grade: A child must be six years old on or before September 1st AND satisfy one of the following:

    a) Satisfactory completion of kindergarten in a Florida public school.
    b) Satisfactory completion of kindergarten in a non-public school.
    c) Previous attendance in an out-of-state school in which the student was admitted on the basis of age requirements established by the state of residency.

2. Proof of Residency 

  • Certain documents will be required to prove residency. A complete detail of these requirements can all be found in:
    Residency process (http://www.stjohns.k12.fl.us/student/residency/)
  • Current students must update residency documentation before transitioning to middle (6th grade) and high school (9th grade).

3. Proof of Immunization

4. Other

  • Copy of Birth Certificate
  • Proof of Guardianship (if applicable)
  • Physical/Health Examination (dated within 12 months of the student’s first day of school)
  • Social Security Number (optional)
  • Academic Records (for students previous enrolled in another school)

For additional Information regarding immunizations, please contact:
Florida Department of Health- St. Johns County
200 San Sebastian View
St. Augustine, FL 32084

 For additional information regarding any health issue for school enrollment, please visit (http://www.stjohns.k12.fl.us/health/)

Although we will request the records from the previous school, placement may be expedited if you have:

  • Most recent report card
  • Unofficial transcripts or grades
  • Most recent test scores (mandatory prior to registration for Honors or Dual Enrollment classes)

If you would like to complete the registration paperwork in advance please visit http://www.stjohns.k12.fl.us/student/enrollment/form.

If you do not know the name of your zoned school please use the Zone Locator at http://www.stjohns.k12.fl.us/zoning/

Revised 2/16 SS/jd