Multi-Tiered System of Supports/Response to Intervention
Contact: Student Success & Accountability Department
Welcome to the St. Johns County School District Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS)RtI website. MTSS/RtI is a term used to describe an evidence-based model of schooling that uses data-based problem-solving to integrate academic and behavioral instruction and intervention. Integrated education and intervention are provided to students at varying intensity levels based on student needs. The goal is to prevent problems and intervene early so students can succeed. In St. Johns County we will refer to our system as a Response-to-Intervention (RtI) framework.
Each school develops an MTSS team that receives ongoing coaching in the following core principles:
- We can effectively teach all children.
- Intervene early using a multi-tier model of service delivery
- Use a problem-solving method to make decisions within a multi-tier model
- Use research-based, scientifically validated interventions/instruction.
- Monitor student progress to inform instruction.
- Use data to make decisions.
- Use assessments for three purposes – universal screening, diagnostic, and progress monitoring.
For additional information regarding MTSS, you may also visit www.florida-rti.org.