Who is Eligible?
In order to be eligible for a Reading Scholarship Account your child must meet the following requirements:
- Currently enrolled in a Florida public school in third, fourth or fifth grade for the 2021-22 school year, and scored a performance level of 1 or 2 on the English Language Arts (ELA) test in the 2020-21 school year.
- Students who are classified as English Language Learners, and who are enrolled in a program or receiving services that are specifically designed to meet the instructional needs of English Language Learner (ELL) students, will receive priority.
While completing the application, you may be asked to provide the following document, but it is not required to complete the application: 2020-21 ELA Score Report.
The 2021-22 scholarship amount is $500 (based on availability) per eligible student and may be used toward the following expenditures:
- Instructional materials
- Tuition and fees for part-time tutoring services. The services shall be provided by a person who holds a valid teaching certificate pursuant to s. 1012.56, F.S.; a person who holds a baccalaureate or graduate degree in the subject area; a person who holds an adjunct teaching certificate pursuant to s. 1012.57, F.S.; or a person who has demonstrated a mastery of subject area knowledge pursuant to s. 1012.56(5), F.S.
- Fees for specialized summer education programs designed to improve reading or literacy skills
- Fees for after-school education programs designed to improve reading or literacy skills
Please contact your child’s school to inquire about your child’s eligibility for the Reading Scholarship Account.
Visit the Florida Department of Education website the learn more about Reading Scholarship Accounts.