To the SJCSD community,
I would like to take this opportunity to express our commitment to the families impacted by the horrific events impacting Israel. We must be together during these times when some of our families are being hurt and attacked. We must not be tolerant of antisemitic words or behavior and embrace the students and families that need us now. It is heartbreaking to watch the news and see the devastation in the Gaza strip and areas of Israel.
We stand today with our families to provide safe and supportive schools. Knowing that this is an emotional and stressful time for many students, our school counselors are ready to assist and provide resources. If you need immediate resources, we have provided some below.
US Department of State Crisis Intake Form: If you or a someone you know must be evacuated from Israel, you can complete the U.S. State Department’s crisis intake form here to receive assistance. You can reach the U.S. Department of Consular Affairs by phone at +1-833-890-9595 or +1-606-641-0131.
LDJ Jewish Family & Community Services: (JFCS) provides quality social and community services across the life spectrum to enhance the lives of children, adults, seniors, and families coping with challenges that arise throughout the lifecycle. Guided by Jewish values, with a rich tradition of over 100 years, our services are available to ALL in the Northeast Florida Community. Phone: (904) 448-1933 | Email: [email protected]
Jewish Community Alliance: The JCA strengthens Jewish life, serves as a common meeting ground, and enhances the quality of life of the entire community. (904) 730-2100
General Resources about Talking with Children in Times of Crisis:
- UNICEF Article- “How to Talk to Your Children About Conflict and War”
- Common Sense Media Article – “Explaining the News to Our Kids”
- Common Sense Media Article – “How do I Talk to My Kids About Violence in the News”
- American Psychological Association Articles – “Resilience in a Time of War – Elementary Students” and “Resilience in a Time of War – Middle School Students”
- National Association of School Psychologists Article – “Supporting Youth Affected by Violence in Israel & Gaza: Tips for Families & Educators”
- St. Johns County School District Guidance & Programs of Choice Webpage – “Resources for Parents Talking with Children About Tragic Events”
- St. Johns County School District School Counselors Contact Information – Contact your student’s school counselor for any needs and support by visiting their school’s counseling website
Superintendent of Schools
St. Johns County School District