Elementary Prevention Education
Students in grades K-5 receive health and prevention education, which is integrated into the curriculum throughout the year.
Middle School Prevention Education
Effects and consequences of alcohol, tobacco and other drugs are taught throughout middle school via presentations by district prevention specialist, community agencies, teachers and guidance counselors.
High School Prevention Education
Freshmen receive the required class Health Opportunities through Physical Education (HOPE), which is a comprehensive health and personal fitness class covering prevention topics.
Bullying Prevention Education
The St. Johns County School District integrates bullying prevention education into the curriculum at all grade levels per Florida Statute 1006.147. It is taught throughout the year by teachers, the district prevention specialist and community agencies. Students learn:
- What defines bullying behavior
- The different forms of bullying (physical, verbal, emotional/ social exclusion and cyber)
- Methods of preventing bullying or harassment
- Identifying and responding to bullying behavior
- Recognizing bullying behaviors that lead to bullying and harassment and taking appropriate preventive action based on those observations
- The effects of bullying on everyone
- The important role of the bystander to help stop bullying behavior
- How to report bullying.
Teen Dating Violence Prevention Education
Florida’s Legislature passed an addition to Section 1003.42(2)(n), Florida Statutes, stating that Teen Dating Violence and Abuse education be incorporated as part of instruction for students in grades 7 through 12.
The St. Johns County School District will integrate information on healthy and unhealthy relationships for students in grades 7 through 12 into the curriculum to include:
- Definition of dating violence and abuse
- The warning signs of dating violence and abusive behavior
- The characteristics of healthy relationships
- Measure to prevent and stop dating violence and abuse
- Community resources available to victims of dating violence and abuse.