Free and Reduced Lunch

The St. Johns County School District (SJCSD) has announced its policy for free and reduced price meals for students unable to pay full price for meals served under the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs and Child Care Food Program. Anyone interested may review a copy of the policy by contacting Sean Prevatt, SJCSD director of Food and Nutrition Services, 10 Hildreth Drive, St. Augustine, FL 32084 or (904) 547-3960 or toll free (866) 984-7084.

Household size and income criteria will be used to determine eligibility. An application cannot be approved unless it contains complete eligibility information. Once approved, meal benefits are good for an entire year. You need not notify the school district of increases in income or decreases in household size throughout the year.

Application forms will be sent home with a letter to parents or guardians or a copy can be found on the Food and Nutrition Service’s website at To apply for Free or Reduced-Price Meals, households must complete the application and return it to the school or district office, or an application can be completed online. Additional copies are also available at the front office in each school. The information provided on the application will be used for the purpose of determining eligibility and may be verified at any time during the school year. Applications may be submitted at any time during the year.

Households that receive SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) or TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) are required to list on the application only the child’s name, SNAP/TANF case number, and signature of adult household member.

Foster children will receive free benefits regardless of the child’s personal income or the income of the household.

Households with children who are considered migrants, homeless, or runaway should contact Homeless Liaison Chris Stone at (904) 547-7589.

For the purpose of determining household size, deployed service members are considered a part of the household. Families should include the names of the deployed service members on their application. Report only that portion of the deployed service member’s income made available to them or on their behalf to the family. Additionally, a housing allowance that is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative is not to be included as income.

All other households must provide the following information listed on the application:

Total household income listed by gross amount received, type of income (e.g., wages, child support, etc.) and how often the income is received by each household member to include all children whether in a school or not;

Names of all household members – check the “no income” box if applicable; if household member is a child, list school name for each;

Signature of an adult household member certifying the information provided is correct; and

The last four digits of the social security number of the adult signing the application or the word “NONE” for this household member if he or she does not have a social security number.

The district should be contacted if a household member becomes unemployed, or if the household size increases. Children of parents or guardians who become unemployed should also contact the district.

Under the provisions of the Free and Reduced-Price meal policy, the Food Service Director or approved designee will review applications and determine eligibility. If a parent or guardian is dissatisfied with the ruling of the official, he or she may wish to discuss the decision with the determining official on an informal basis. If the parent wishes to make a formal appeal, he or she may make a request either orally or in writing to the Director of Student Services, 40 Orange Street, St Augustine, FL 32084, 904-547-7536.

Unless indicated otherwise on the application, the information on the Free and Reduced-Price Meal application may be used by the school system in determining eligibility for other educational programs.

Effective July 1, 2013 – June 30, 2014

Household Size Annual Monthly Twice per Month Every Two Weeks Weekly
1 14,937 1,245 623 575 288
2 20,163 1,681 841 776 388
3 25,389 2,116 1,058 977 489
4 30,615 2,552 1,276 1,178 589
5 35,841 2,987 1,494 1,379 690
6 41,067 3,423 1,712 1,580 790
7 46,293 3,858 1,929 1,781 891
8 51,519 4,294 2,147 1,982 991
For each additional family member, add 5,226 436 218 201 101

Effective July 1, 2013 – June 30, 2014

Household Size Annual Monthly Twice per Month Every Two Weeks Weekly
1 21,257 1,772 886 818 409
2 28,694 2,392 1,196 1,104 552
3 36,131 3,011 1,506 1,390 695
4 43,568 3,631 1,816 1,676 838
5 51,005 4,251 2,126 1,962 981
6 58,442 4,871 2,436 2,248 1,124
7 65,879 5,490 2,745 2,534 1,267
8 73,316 6,110 3,055 2,820 1,410
For each additional family member, add 7,437 620 310 287 144

To determine annual income:

If you receive the income every week, multiply the total gross income by 52.
If you receive the income every two weeks, multiply the total gross income by 26.
If you receive the income twice a month, multiply the total gross income by 24.
If you receive the income monthly, multiply the total gross income by 12.

Remember, the total income before taxes, social security, health benefits, union dues, or other deductions must be reported.

“The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or if all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at [email protected].

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (in Spanish).

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.