The District is working in collaboration with the local Department of Health to focus on steps to help stop or slow the spread of all respiratory illnesses, including Coronavirus (COVID-19). Steps currently in place include:
- Information sharing through day-to-day reporting by school nurses to Epidemiology of all students identified with “influenza-like” illness.
- Encouraging parents to keep sick children home.
- Students who become sick at school or arrive at school sick are sent home as soon as possible.
- Encouraging hand washing often.
- Encouraging respiratory etiquette (appropriately covering coughs and sneezes).
- Increased cleaning by custodial staff of frequently touched surfaces (light switches, doorknobs, counters, etc.), as well as all school buses.
- Monitoring for changes in usual absenteeism patterns.
While there are two confirmed positive cases in Florida, the majority of respiratory illnesses are not Coronavirus. Should there be a confirmed case of Coronavirus in our community, local health officials will provide guidance for any school dismissals. Recommendations will be made on a case-by-case basis based on the most up to date information about Coronavirus and the specific impacts on the community.