St. Johns County School District ASSIST
(Aid & Support for Students in Sudden Transition) Program
Every Child Has the Right to an Education
YOU MAY BE HOMELESS if you are:
- sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason;
- living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations;
- living in emergency or transitional shelters;
- abandoned in hospitals;
- awaiting foster care placement;
- having a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings;
- living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings;
- (Migrant) migratory children who qualify as homeless because the children are living in circumstances described above;
- an “unaccompanied youth”, a youth who is not in the physical custody of a parent or guardian.
If you are homeless, you may qualify for services under the McKinney-Vento Act (see paragraph 2 (a) and (b) under the “Homeless Education Procedures & Guidelines”. Complete the Identifier below and fax to (904) 547-7595.
If you are homeless, you have a right to:
- Go to school, no matter where you live or how long you have lived there.
- Continue in the school they last attended before you became homeless or the school they last attended, if that is your choice and it is feasible.
- Receive transportation to the school they last attended before your family became homeless or the school they last attended, if you as a guardian requests such transportation.
- Participate in school programs with children who are not homeless.
- Enroll in school without giving a permanent address.
- Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents required for enrollment.
- Enroll and attend classes in the school where you are seeking enrollment even while the school and you seek to resolve a dispute over enrolling your child.
- Receive the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other children served in these programs
- Free Lunch and Breakfast program
ALL STAR DONORS
BOZARD FORD * NETWORK FOR GOOD * HILTON HISTORIC BAYFRONT * TESORI FOUNDATION
SJCSD TEAM ASSIST * DOUBLETREE JAX BAYFRONT * THE PLAYERS Championship
What Can I do?
BECOME AN ANNUAL MEMBER:
$1500-Gold, $750-Silver $375-Bronze
Donations will help:
Sponsor students for summer camp enrichment and after school programs
Support for College Tours
Purchase of Laptops for students entering college
Financial contributions to SJCSD ASSIST (Aid & Support for Students in Sudden Transition) program make checks payable to:
40 Orange Street
St. Augustine, FL 32084
Memo: ASSIST program
or Donate ONLINE http://www.ink-stjohns.org/
Click>Take Action>Make a Donation>Select amount>Select program “ASSIST”>Next…