Welcome to St. Johns County School District’s School Health Services Department.
What We Do
School Health Services contributes to the goals of the education system by providing screenings and referrals, administering medications and treatments, providing first aid, providing health counseling and education, and supporting students to acquire self-management skills. The purpose of School Health Services is to ensure that all students are healthy and ready to learn.
With a nurse in every school, our nurses function as a part of the school’s multi-disciplinary team to bridge the gap between health, wellness and learning. Working with parents, other health professionals and other school staff, the school nurse provides services and information in the following:
- Day-to-day student health needs, emergency health needs, and in-school management of chronic and acute health conditions providing the expertise to identify, assess, plan, implement and evaluate the health needs
- Entrance and immunization requirements
- Health prevention education and information on communicable diseases
- CPR and First Aid training for school personnel
- Medication administration
- Develop and maintain health care plans
- Respond to health alerts
- Provide support for other state mandated school health programs and requirements.
Melissa Petty, BSN, RN
Director for School Health Services
The Florida Health Department provides information and policy procedures for Health Services.
Florida Department of Health- St. Johns County
200 San Sebastian View
St. Augustine, FL 32084