St. Johns County School District
ASSIST (Aid & Support for Students in Sudden Transition) Program
St. Johns County School District (SJCSD) Family Services Coordinator Joann Johnson with Hope Haven scholarship recipient Francesca Brown and SJCSD Homeless Liaison Chris Stone.
St. Augustine Sertoma Club awards Joann Johnson, Family Services Coordinator for the St. Johns County School District's A.S.S.I.S.T. (Aid and Support for Students in Sudden Transition), the Service to Mankind Award for her selfless advocacy on behalf of the hundreds of homeless students in the district.
Assist seniors receiving laptops courtesy of the Tesori Family Foundation and great dining with Hilton St. Augustine Historic Bayfront.
SJCSD ASSIST staff receiving donations of backpacks with school supplies from Florida Janitor & Supply, Melinda Bellini and Joe Taylor.
Friends at St. Augustine & St. Johns County Board of REALTORS donate school supplies.
Pictured: Erin (SASJBOR) and Chris Stone (SJCSD)
Every Child Has the Right to an Education
YOU MAY BE HOMELESS if you are:
- sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason;
- living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations;
- living in emergency or transitional shelters;
- abandoned in hospitals;
- awaiting foster care placement;
- having a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings;
- living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings;
- (Migrant) migratory children who qualify as homeless because the children are living in circumstances described above;
- an "unaccompanied youth", a youth who is not in the physical custody of a parent or guardian.
If you are homeless, you may qualify for services under the McKinney-Vento Act (see paragraph 2 (a) and (b) under the "Homeless Education Procedures & Guidelines". Complete the Identifier below and fax to (904) 547-7595.
If you are homeless, you have a right to:
- Go to school, no matter where you live or how long you have lived there.
- Continue in the school they last attended before you became homeless or the school they last attended, if that is your choice and it is feasible.
- Receive transportation to the school they last attended before your family became homeless or the school they last attended, if you as a guardian requests such transportation.
- Participate in school programs with children who are not homeless.
- Enroll in school without giving a permanent address.
- Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents required for enrollment.
- Enroll and attend classes in the school where you are seeking enrollment even while the school and you seek to resolve a dispute over enrolling your child.
- Receive the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other children served in these programs
- Free Lunch and Breakfast program
UPLIFT With ASSIST Dinner/Silent Auction Fundraiser
2014 Sertoma Dodgeball Tournament
JOIN US FOR A FUN TIME...
Sertoma 2014 Dodgeball Tournament
Sunday, September 7, 2014 at 10:00 a.m.
St. Augustine Beach Pier
Proceeds to Benefit SJCSD ASSIST Program
Team "School Dazed":
1. Wade Laga 5. Kim McNickle
2. Chris Stone 6. Steven McNickle
3. Jan Caban 7. Taurean Johnson
4. Jason Caban 8. Joann Johnson, Team Capt.
CHIP IN FOR YOUTH
The PLAYERS CHAMPIONSHIP
May 5-10, 2015
Please purchase your tickets through the A.S.S.I.S.T. Program!
What Can I do?
BECOME AN ANNUAL MEMBER:
$1500-Gold, $750-Silver $375-Bronze
Donations will help:
Sponsor students for summer camp enrichment and afterschool programs
Support for College Tours
Purchase of Laptops for students entering college
BECOME A MENTOR (contact Raymond Randolph at 904-540-1450), SPECIFY THE ASSIST PROGRAM
BECOME AN EMPLOYER (contact Joann Johnson at 904-547-7642)
Financial contributions to SJCSD ASSIST (Aid & Support for Students in Sudden Transition) program may be mailed to:
St. Johns County Education Foundation or ONLINE
Chris Stone, Homeless Liaison ->Donate
40 Orange Street ->Apply to a specific program or general funds
St. Augustine, FL 32084 ->Student Services Assist Program