· Grandfathering provisions will apply to families pres-ently attending a school which has been rezoned, for their fifth, tenth, eleventh, or twelfth grade children only. Transportation is not provided.
· Rising fifth grade students will not be grandfathered at Durbin Creek, Hickory Creek, or Ocean Palms Elementary Schools.
· The Hardship Transfer Application is only for parents who believe they have a hardship. For Academy or Program of Study transfers, please visit the Career Academy weblink. For Gifted or ESE Special Program transfers, please visit the ESE weblink.
If you have any questions regarding hardship transfers, please call the Office for School Services at 904.547.7583.
A student may be granted a "hardship" transfer when a condition or situation exists that creates an adverse or compelling circumstance or a state of misfortune unique to that student’s life or a family’s life situation. Relevant documentation must be attached to the Out of Zone Transfer Request.
ZONE WAIVER REQUIREMENTS
· Applications must be submitted by the assigned
· Transportation must be provided by the parent.
· Requested school must have available capacity and must meet class size compli-ance.
· Parent agrees that at any time during the school year, a transfer may be revoked due to poor attendance, tardiness, or discipline issues.
· Parent understands that falsification of residency shall result in the revocation of the transfer waiver. The student will return to his or her zoned school at a time determined by the Superintendent or designee.
· Parent must receive an APPROVED Hardship Transfer from the St Johns County School District’s Department for School Services each year.
· Parent must complete a separate application for each child, on an annual basis.
OUT OF COUNTY REQUESTS
The St Johns County School District will not accept any requests for students residing outside of St Johns County, even if residing outside our County on a temporary basis only. The exception to this exists for students who are children of St Johns County School Board employees. Employees who are granted an out of county waiver is responsible to obtain a Letter of Release from their home-zoned county for every year they
School District employees may request that their child attend school in which they work, or the school within closest proximity of their work location. Employees who live outside of St. Johns County should see "Out of County Requests" above.
HOME PURCHASE REQUESTS
Hardship transfers based on future home purchases are not granted. Students need to be registered in the school zone where they are currently living.
Student-Athletes who transfer to another school must oblige themselves to the FHSAA Rules of Athletic Eligibility.
Transfer Policy and Procedure
Out of Zone hardship transfers are valid for ONE SCHOOL YEAR ONLY. Students currently on an out of zone waiver are not automatically guaranteed acceptance for the next school year. A new application must be submitted annu-ally. If transfer is granted, TRANSPORTATION MUST BE PROVIDED BY THE PARENT.
A committee will review your request for an out of zone transfer. A decision will be made based on the information provided in the
application and any additional documentation. Please allow approximately three weeks for an email response. If application is denied, a parent may request an appeal in writing to the Office for School Services. Once the denial is provided to the parent, the parent must enroll the student in the attendance zone in which they reside, even if appealing at the next level. The Superintendent will appoint a Transfer Appeals Committee. All decisions by the Superintendent are final.