Comprehensive Reading Plan
The Florida Legislature allocates funds for reading through the Florida Education Finance Program (FEFP). The authority for this provision was established in 2006 law within section 1011.62, Florida Statutes.
In order to receive this reading funding, districts were required to write a K-12 Comprehensive Research-Based Reading Plan for 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011, and create a similar plan for the 2012-2013 school year. The plan must ensure the provision of:
• highly qualified reading coaches,
• professional development for school district teachers in scientifically based reading instruction, including strategies to teach reading in content areas and with an emphasis on technical and informational text,
• summer reading camps for students who score at Level 1 on FCAT reading,
• supplemental instructional materials that are grounded in scientifically based reading research and,
• intensive interventions for middle and high school students reading below grade level.